Thursday, December 17, 2009

Olympic Torch Relay

This past weekend, the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch came to Ottawa and I was surprised to hear that the relay route was coming fairly close to our place. To within 3 blocks, in fact! For those of you familiar with Ottawa geography, the runners went westbound on Carling, hooked a right on Woodroffe and then eastbound back up Richmond, essentially forming a U around our house.

Our friend Jenn B. was up visiting from Toronto so we made it a group outing. We camped out on the curb on Richmond and Redwood and waited for the motorcade. I think I was expecting the torchbearer, some security and maybe a rest van to accompany the runner. What I didn't expect was a pair of massive floats (Coke and RBC), about 10 police cars, a mini bus carrying all of the runners doing the ensuing legs and only then, the runner, some security and a couple of support vehicles. Here's what we saw:







After the visual onslaught passed us by, the torch was headed up to Parliament Hill, where a giant stage was set up for a big show featuring Tom Cochrane (is he still around? We weren't sure whether he'd trot out Life is a Highway or Big League first...) I didn't hear anything about the festivities, but I'm sure a lot of people went. Can't go wrong with free Beavertails!

The next day, at gymnastics, one of the instructors (who had participated in the relay the night before) came in wearing her relay gear (given to the runners for free) and carrying her torch (could be purchased by the runners for $400 a pop). Max thought it was pretty cool and I even got to hold the torch. I didn't have a camera on me though, so no pics - sorry.

We were thinking that, given that the Olympics only come to Canada every 15 years or so, it was pretty neat to see the relay. Who knows if there will be a next time, if it will come close to us, etc. Maybe next time, we'll actually get lucky and one of us will be selected to participate! It's only 300 metres, right? I still can't believe that I didn't know anybody who ran, after 12,000 people were chosen to carry the torch...

No comments: