Saturday, December 12, 2009

Baby vs. Wild

For those of you who are not currently parents, you may not know about Sophie. Sophie is French. France French. Sophie is made of all natural rubber. Sophie squeaks. Sophie is a giraffe. Sophie is one of the must-have baby accoutrements for hip families. She's eco and she's expensive: A+B=must-have. Particularly in our old neighbourhood of Nestboro.

When Holly first went with Max to Hush-a-Bye, she sat down with the little tyke and almost every other mother sat down with their little ones...and a Sophie. Ever the contrarian (and certainly not one to come off as chi-chi), Holly said "there's no way I'm ever getting one of those giraffes". We also couldn't believe that Max would ever give two shakes about some girafe en caoutchouc (dang, that's totally one of my favourite French words) so we passed.

Recently, a new mommy friend (old friend, new mommy) of Holly's wound up being given multiple Sophies and thought Leo might like one. When I got home from work and saw it, I think I spat out something sassy like "Oh, whose is that?". But I had no idea what that plucky li'l giraffe would do for us.

Let me preface the following videos by saying that generally, Leo drools. Quite a bit. But never like when he's got Sophie's entire head crammed in his craw. He will slurp any and every part of that giraffe: legs, butt, neck and particularly face. One of the first toys he exercised his new-found ability to reach out and hold on was Sophie. Here is exhibit A. This video is graphic in nature and should not be shown to members of PETA.



I will never slight Sophie again. She is Leo's very favourite (other than my arm hair, I guess). Thanks mommy friend/rock star/Sadie's mum!!!

1 comment:

girlstuckinacube said...

Trouble sleeping + chowing down on Sophie = teeth?

PS - don't forget how adorable Max was when he shared is drinking box with our favourite giraffe!