Friday, January 15, 2010

The Sickness; one GROSS diaper

No, not the album by metal band Disturbed, but the stuff that has descended on the Stardom household. This past week has been a doozy, featuring by far the worst night since Max's birth not caused by a newborn. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This past Monday, Max was having a normal morning when, all of a sudden, he came down with a nasty cold at day care and had to come home. Holly was a trooper and I took Tuesday morning to pitch in. By Tuesday night, Max was full of beans again and ready to get back to the daycare grind, albeit with a hacking cough and nose dripping like a faucet. It turned out that all the kids at daycare were sick at some point this week so our awesome daycare provider was totally cool with us sending him to daycare even if he wasn't 100%.

However, by Wednesday night, Leo was showing signs that he had picked up what Max had. Thursday morning, he sounded like Holly when she's got a case of the croup. He was so congested by Thursday night that he wouldn't sleep if he was put down - the second his head hit the crib or bed, he was up. Leo and I ended up sharing a nice late-night urban drive between midnight and 2, just to get him some sleep. Holly and I both staggered through Friday on about 3 hours each and we're hoping for a better night tonight.

Poor guy. I don't think Max was ever this sick. And of course this all comes on the heels of me mentioning to Holly how lucky we were regarding the kids' health. I suppose we were due. We're still lucky that it's just a cold. Hopefully the weekend can help everyone recuperate.

Oh, it's entirely possible that I shouldn't be posting the following pictures due to their graphic nature, but it speaks a bit to what might also have been going on with Leo in regards to his sleeping. The word is "constipation" and it should be combined with "new diet". I kind of forgot that introducing solid food into a baby's diet changes how a few things work for the little one. Well, I got a phone call at the office on the 8th from Holly who sounded like she had just escaped from a blazing building. Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but...

For those of you who don't know, Leo has had this funky habit of filling his diaper once every 7-10 days, which results in spectacular clean-ups. Although this may sound a bit weird, it is actually totally normal for a breastfed baby - anywhere from 10 times a day to once every 10 days is in the normal range. Fortunately for me, I got an A in hot potato back in the day, so Holly has been left holding the bag (so to speak) for most of these explosions. Most of what Holly had seen before P-Day was pretty tame though until this happened:

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW.
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK
.









Yes, that's after the first wave of wiping. Holly was a little overwhelmed. In her own words: "he was on my hip and then my arm was wet and then I kind of knew what was happening, but when I put him down and revealed that it had gone up the back and over his SHOULDER....oh my God!". So apologies for those of you with weak stomachs, but I felt like I had to share.

Holly adds - I didn't think that much poop could come out of a six-month old baby! The best part was that I had just bathed him a few hours earlier then had to bathe him again. I also found some poop on his EAR when I was putting him to bed that night. I also mourned the loss of that super cute OshKosh yellow onesie but there was *absolutely* no way of saving it so it went directly in the trash.

No comments: