Friday, December 7, 2007

Yikes - it's been too long

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a week since the last post. See, we used to have this hour at 2:30 am where we could take some time to jot things down, but now that Max is putting in the long hours of sleep, we get up at 5 or so, and then when he goes back to sleep just after 6, I get ready to go to work and then that's it for the day. Despite the fact that the opportunity for good sleep is better than before, we kind of miss that time for catching up with each other and posting little things to the blog.

A lot has happened this past week. It all started with my first night without Max. I'll let Holly fill you in on the details of what happened while I was away (everything went smoothly, no worries), but I went down to Oshawa for the weekend with a couple of friends for my first Scrabble tournament in half a year. It was a little weird being away from Max for the first time, but I enjoyed catching up with old friends and spreading the word that I have a new baby boy! It had been a while since I've been able to tell someone the news - I had forgotten how good it felt to let people know about Max.

Before getting home from Oshawa, most of Ontario (for those of you not in the province) got leveled with a blustery storm. By the end of Monday the 3rd, at least a foot had fallen in a day and a bit. This pile of snow made driving conditions tough between Oshawa and Ottawa, but without it, I never would have seen that team of sled dogs (with a sled, no less) tied up outside a Tim Horton's in Scarborough. Since Monday, there has been mucho shoveling and Max has been introduced to snowsuits. Holly picked up a wonderful new babywearing thing that allows him to sit on her front with a snowsuit on (the other ones are a bit tight when Max is bundled up!). I also had to make some adjustments to the car seat to allow the seatbelt to get over Max's tonne of downy softness. Kind of like putting on snow tires - eventually, we will have to undo everything when things warm up.

One crazy thing that happened this past week is that I got Max whipped into a full-on giggle for the first time, just by rocking/swinging back and forth. I couldn't believe it! I tried again, and he cried. Oops. So maybe emotions are still a little random at the moment. Hopefully it will happen again soon, to confirm that Max really does love me.

Oh, he just filled his diaper.


I'm back. So this weekend has been really laid-back and wonderful, so far. Holly's aunt took her and Max to a craft sale all yesterday afternoon and then Holly got to partake in a bake exchange last night with some girlfriends while I hung out with Max and our friend K at home. Max was a little grumpy, but took a bottle from K with no problem (kind of chugged it, actually) and fell asleep like a little angel just before K left, prepping him for yet another night of great sleep! This morning, Holly said she had the best sleep in a long time so we celebrated with some brekkie before her mom...

oh no, another full diaper...

and sister whisked her off to go shopping. We laid low, watching some TV, puttering and doing some laundry in the afternoon before Holly left again for a Christmas gospel concert with her mom. So I get to have more father-son time tonight!! So until the next time, hopefully within a few days as opposed to a week, here are some more pictures to tide you over.

1 comment:

Donna said...

LOVE the photo of Max lounging all tucked into the bed.

The diaper one, not so much, although I miss that breastfed baby poop. The yogurt/raisin/toat/cheese/mango/ham/lentil eating one . . .I could do without.