Friday, December 28, 2007

Love at First Sight

Well, I said I'd get to some of the out-of-town Christmas spoilage so here goes. Max was treated to a few packages from his Winnipeg family, including some cool clothes from his second cousins (thanks Wendy and Joey!), some beautiful books from his great-grandma and grandma, and two Christmas outfits from his aunt and uncle on display in today's pictures. Max says they felt super fuzzy! However, the Christmas gift that Max has fallen in love with like no other is his new playmat from my mom.

The apparatus comes with a mat for the ground, two flexible rods that arch and criss-cross over the mat (and are great for dangling toys from), a big mirror to strap to the rods and some plush toys that rattle. After I unpacked the mat, I plunked Max down in the middle of the mat while I tried to figure the whole thing out. Max then started crying so I hurriedly chucked him the stuffed rattly-legged lion that comes with the kit and moved on to the rods. It was a minute or so before I realized that he was, um, making out with the lion. Holding it in both hands, he was snuggling it close to his face. We had read on websites that kids tended to love the lion, but this was still surprising.

I got the rods set up, dangled the duck, giraffe, mirror and other stuff from them and sat back. Max freaked out. In a good way. 30 minutes straight of giggling, primarily from kicking the border of the mat and ogling himself in the mirror. I tried to get involved in the fun, but then Max gave me the "what? you're still here?" look. Ice cold.

Before going off to sulk, I snapped these pictures. Priceless.


Since Max and the playmat first met, he has spent quite a bit of time staring at the mirror (smiling and blowing bubbles at himself), smacking the duck chime or acting out what might happen should a giraffe and octopus ever meet face to face.

In any case, I don't want to slight Max's other gifts - they are all appreciated and wonderful - I've just never seen Max make himself smile so frequently and steadily. Usually, it takes a diaper on the chest :)

P.S. Despite the initial brush-off, Mommy and Daddy eventually injected themselves into Max's fun. Here is the evidence.

No comments: