Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hi-ho, hi-ho...

On Wednesday of this past week, I got to take Max (and Holly, I guess) in to work with me for the afternoon to meet some of my colleagues. As excited as I was to show the little guy off, Holly was on logistics: determining exactly what feeding schedule to use in order to have him in the happiest mood possible for my coworkers. Meanwhile, I was hoping that the chosen schedule would have Holly in a relatively good mood herself :)

So we settled on delaying his late-morning feeding until Holly and Max arrived at work at about 12:15. This way, he'd be full of yummy goodness at 1:00, when we would be holding court with the people who work in my section (they had booked a boardroom for an hour to ogle and pass the baby). The plan worked. Well, mostly. We knew that the one risk in feeding him right before showing him off was the imminent spit-up. So we fed Max, decked him out in his awesome blue/brown combo with blue and brown shoes our friends I&G bought for him and before we could say "who's the sexiest baby in all the land?", Max ralphed all over his shirt. In fact, had he been competing in some future Olympic event where competitors all had the word COOL written on their chest and had to cover it up with vomit as spectacularly as possible, he'd be a gold medal baby right now. Cool, indeed. Regardless, the outfit was a big hit, but not as big a hit as the matching Robeez shoes. It's remarkable that the shoes were purchased separately from the rest of the outfit because they coordinate so well. Everyone loves the shoes.

In any case, it was really nice to get to introduce Holly to the people I work with every day; I often mention people at work (only good stuff) and now Holly can attach faces to the names. It was also interesting to note who couldn't wait to get their hands on the baby (almost only women seem to have this gene) and who was just fine laying low. Before leaving, we got some WONDERFUL gifts from my section, including a rolling toy that propels itself (it says on the package that this promotes crawling, but I think it promotes application of first aid skills) and a jingly, crinkly, stuffed banana (it hangs from carrier handles or play gyms and has all sorts of special features, including mirrors on the soles of its shoes - Paul Simon inspired? - and four plush peel sections with velcro that can be stuck to the banana's head so that he can actually be peeled...so awesome).

After our sit-down with my section, we went for a tour of my old building, where there were scads of people I thought should meet Max. The trouble was, it was mid-afternoon, just before Christmas so many people were either out of the office or at Christmas events/parties. However, given that it was the federal public service, many, MANY people were still diligently working at their desks. In the end, Holly and Max got to meet a lot more of my colleagues. As for the ones we missed, well, we're headed back in on Monday for a Christmas Eve brunch. Everyone shows up with their spouses and kids (and, from a security message sent to all staff the other day, it appears that people have tried to bring pets in the past) for some chow. Then, although we are given the option of calling it a day very early on, everyone will probably get back to work, setting their families to work wherever their skills can be used. This is the federal public service after all.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures on Wednesday, but I will be sure to take some on Monday. After all, Santa will be there.

In the meantime, to tide you over, here is a random video Holly took this past week. Yes, that is a garbage bag filled with bubble wrap. Enjoy!

No comments: