Monday, July 26, 2010

Nana Banana

We had a fabulous weekend chez Casa Stardom and I wanted to write a little shout-out to my mum (a.k.a. Queen Bee or Nana) who helped make our weekend so enjoyable.

Friday was John’s birthday so we had a little surprise family pizza dinner at our place. Mum made a wonderful shrimp appetizer and a citrus cheesecake then stayed to babysit so that John and I could hit the local karaoke dive with friends for a few hours. John and I both had a blast singing and enjoying the Hintonburg people-watching. Leo has been sleeping great but somehow chose that night to wake up twice, while we were gone. However, my mum handled it like a pro. The little stinker didn’t get up again after we got home at 1 a.m. so we were spared any of his shenanigans until he woke up for good in the morning. John took the early morning shift with the boys so I could get a bit of extra sleep - yesssss!

The weather was beautiful (warm but not too hot; bright but not blazingly sunny) on Saturday morning so we decided to head for the beach. The first thing Max said when I mentioned that we might go to the beach was “We go with Nana Banana?” We promptly called my mum who, despite being at our place for roughly the entire night before until the wee hours AND having a bum knee, was up for a family beach adventure. We ended up spending quite some time on the beach making sand forts and splashing in the water. Mum and I took the boys for a bit so John could get a little nap on the sand. I don’t know many women “of a certain age” who can rock a plunging V-neck swimsuit while building sand castles at the beach but my mum is one of those women. Check out the photo:


Max had one of the lines of the day when he saw a young man with a blue Mohawk: “Mama, why that man have a blue chicken on his head?” Priceless.

On Sunday, Mum and I went to an afternoon matinee of The Kids are All Right. Mum was disappointed to not get a seniors discount but it doesn’t start until 65 at Empire Theatres so she has a LONG time to wait. It was so nice to slip away for an intelligent movie!

Mum, you may drive me crazy sometimes but you always make me laugh and you are always there for us. Thanks for everything.

No comments: