Friday, April 23, 2010

A really cool girl indeed

A few months back, I was talking to Max about who was coming over that night and trying to get him to guess who our mystery guest was going to be. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Max, guess who is coming over tonight?
Max: Ummm, Nana?
Me: No, Max, not Nana. It is a really cool girl.
Max: (no hesitation) KERRY!

I love, love, LOVE that Max's immediate and heartfelt answer was Kerry. For the record, I was referring to Laramie but I would use these same words in a heartbeat to describe Kerry. We celebrated Kerry's birthday with her today at a lovely dinner hosted by her parents (shout out to CoCo and Allen!) and it got me thinking that it was high time that Kerry got her very own post on this blog. Hopefully, she will take a bit of sappy prose in lieu of a pile of gifts.

For those of you that don't know Kerry that well, here is a quick primer. Kerry is one of the smartest and funniest people I know. John and I met her way WAY back when we were all studying together at Trent. Kerry is passionate about (in no particular order): bacon, reading, chocolate, carbonated diet beverages, puzzles, John Cusack, her friends, shopping, Matt Damon, crafting, dance movies, pulpy novels, lemon desserts, smart people, music, supporting other people to achieve their dreams, politics, quilting, lifelong learning, writing, cribbage, Justin Timberlake, good television, steak, her family, and traveling.

Kerry, you are one of our very favourite people and an AMAZING friend and I don't know what we would do without you. Although I love that you are a traveler extraordinaire, I miss you terribly when you gallivant around the world. I love going to movies, brainstorming craft ideas and talking pop culture with you. John loves playing cribbage and talking smack/music/sports/more smack with you. Max loves reading books with you. Leo likes drooling with you (don't worry, he'll have his own special thing with you in good time).

Thank you for everything you do. Thanks for taking Max on his first overnight without us so I could surprise my mum in San Francisco. Thanks for buying Max super cool underwear; he'll make you proud and wear them soon. Thanks for so many nights of babysitting and advice-giving. Thanks for being there for all of us.


Kerry with tiny, 11-day old Max.



Kerry and Max engaged in their favourite activity.



Super Bowl 2010 - Kerry teaches Max all about healthy eating.



Kerry with Leo on his birth day.

Happy birthday, my friend, and I hope that this year brings you everything you wish for. I look forward to many, many more years of adventures with you. It has been one heck of a ride thus far.

2 comments:

kenny said...

you guys are awesome :o)

kath said...

Beautiful ... Happy Birthday Kerry, maybe someday we will meet ...