Saturday, April 10, 2010

Leo's growing up!

We were joking last week that on the event of Leo's 9-month birthday, it wasn't really "symmetry day" as he'd already been out longer than he was in because he arrived three weeks early. Regardless, 9 months definitely felt like a milestone day to sit back and take stock of what a wonderful, developing child we have on our hands. I remember 9 months feeling the same with Max; that by then, we had some teeth, some mobility, some good eating habits and the sleep was starting to come together.

Now, with Leo, we seem to be in a similar place: the last cold has finally cleared out and two teeth are through, meaning that his sleep is also finally getting back on track after a long two months (three great nights and counting . . . ). We are also starting to figure out Leo's food intake and digestive routine, which also generally helps things run smoother every day. While Leo's not standing up or dragging himself all over the floor like Max was at 9 months, he's threatening to crawl in the near future. He's a solid sitter and is able to pivot himself using his bottom, legs and arms to get to anything within a couple of feet of him. If he wants something badly enough, he can lean forward over his own leg to reach for something maybe three feet away. He can hold that position and obviously wants to get that leg out from under him and into an all-fours position, but can't quite figure out how to do it yet. This next month should be interesting!

We're also noticing a bunch of little things about Leo. If I hold a teething toy of his in my mouth, he'll be really interested in it and grab it. If he takes it out, he'll hold it briefly, and then try to reinsert it in my mouth. If I hold on extra tight, then he actually knows that in order to get it out, he needs to add his second hand to the pulling effort. I always reward the two-hand pull :) Leo is generally really interested in my mouth these days - he likes grabbing my teeth and my tongue. Yesterday, I stuck out my tongue and Leo stuck his out in response. Pretty cool.

An old trick with Max has also turned into a hit with Leo: draping fabric over his face/head or my face/head and letting him figure out how to pull it away to give him a clear sight line again. Man that makes him giggle. Just like playing parachute with bedsheets. And almost as must as chest massages. Although his thighs seem to be less ticklish than they used to be.

Holly reports that Leo LOVES the pool. Yes, the pool. Before this last nasty cold, Holly had a dip with Leo one afternoon and he spent a half hour splashing like crazy and playing in the water. This is a very welcome change from Max's initial pool attitude. Perhaps when we are all 100% again, we'll head out for a family swim so I can see for myself.

Leo loves Cheerios and REALLY loves Baby Mum Mums. He does this super cute all-over body shake in anticipation when we get a package of Mums out and he sees it or hears the crinkly sound. He has also been demolishing an entire pear in one sitting. We've been a little slower out of the gate in terms of making different baby foods for Leo and introducing him to more tastes and textures but we'll get there. He did eat some rainbow trout off our plates the other night and he seemed to like it.

He also really has some of his sounds down. I was in the basement the other morning and I could hear Holly and Leo on the monitor from Leo's room. Holly was getting ready to feed Leo and he said "Ma-Ma" clear as day before he starting eating. It was super cute but we know that he is just practicing all of his sounds and not calling us by name just yet.

Today, we went out to the park and for the first time, Leo was a willing mitt-wearer. I was dreading putting them on, but it was so cold today. Apparently he did it without complaint, so that's a plus. He certainly loves riding around in a stroller, and I'm sure it will only get better as the weather improves. I remember Max really took to spring walks after his first winter and I expect it will be the same for Leo.

Finally, just a blurb about the past couple of evenings, which have been really fun(ny). I hurt my back on Wednesday pretty badly and haven't really been able to carry Leo at all. The problem is that it seems that Leo has developed a bit of a dependency on me when it comes to getting to sleep at night. So Thursday and Friday nights, after his last feed with Holly and after yawning and eye-rubbing forever, once Leo got on Holly's shoulder he would spring to life and essentially looked ready for a party. Both nights, he got to bed around 10-10:30 instead of the usual 8-8:30 after extended play sessions on the floor with me. I think those were the 2nd and 3rd nights to date that Leo has decided on partying late and while it's a little frustrating when we're in need of sleep, it's also such a treat to see Leo so playful.

Here are a few photos from the last month or so:


Leo's first time in an outdoor swing. I think he liked it.


Leo's fascination with tongues is not limited to the human variety.


Leo sitting on his beautiful new space-themed quilt, courtesy of the amazingly talented Mrs. Dorothy Stewart.


Leo enjoys a mango pit.


Leo is so disgusted with our lack of blogging that he decides to take matters into his own hands.

1 comment:

kath said...

YAY! I love these photos and thanks to the shout out to my Mom ... I sent her a link to your blog so she will be lurking and reading about the Stardoms now ...
xo
Kath