Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Special days

We've celebrated a few special days around here in the last few weeks and I wanted to make sure that I got a post and some photos up.

The first special day was Mother's Day. I had a lovely lazy morning and early afternoon. Max brought me home a beautiful pink carnation from gymnastics. It was quite wonderful to open the front door to my little boy holding out a flower for me and saying "Mama!". My sister visited in the afternoon with some beautiful flowers and my mum stopped by as well on her way home from a long road trip. It was so nice to see my mum on Mum's Day. Max, Auntie Laramie and Grandma enjoyed a few readings of My First Truck Book.


After last year's awesome jaunt to Dow's Lake to see the tulips and take some family photos, we decided to make it a tradition and headed down to Dow's Lake again in the late afternoon. It was unseasonably cold (not Winnipeg cold but nippy enough for scarves and jackets) but we enjoyed ourselves. Max had a blast running around on his own and only destroyed a tulip or two. Thanks to my mum for lending us the car so we could make the quick trip rather than wrangling with the Sunday public transit schedule.

Max has grown up a lot in the last year. Some photo evidence:


Mother's Day 2008



Mother's Day 2009



Max tiptoeing through the tulips.



Max and Daddy

On the Mother's Day theme, we also wanted to share some news on the blog for the first time. You may have noticed some increased girth in the recent photos of me. I haven't been eating McDonald's three meals a day - we are expecting a sibling for Max in late July. Our apologies if this is the first time you are hearing our news; we had hoped to tell everyone in a more personal way. Changes to the blog's subtitle to follow!

The other special day we celebrated was our eighth wedding anniversary on May 12th. We celebrated at Bon Appetit the week before and then my mum babysat Max so we could sneak away to a movie on the 13th. The movie (State of Play) was great but it appears that our night away may be having some lasting effects on Max's relationship with his grandma. Hopefully, this too shall pass quickly.

My man is still sexy after eight years of marriage and thirteen years together but I came across this quote that really resonated for me:

"Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh everyday, ah, now that's a real treat." - Joanne Woodward, married to Paul Newman for over 50 years

Happy belated anniversary, my love.

No comments: