Monday, May 30, 2011

The wedding of the century

Where were you for the wedding of the century? In bed like any other sane person? Glued to your TV with 2 billion others around the globe?

I had the great pleasure of attending a Royal Wedding viewing party hosted by Auntie Melody. Despite the 5:30 am start, we were a chipper crew of guests and we thoroughly enjoyed CTV’s extensive coverage (CTV was the broadcaster of choice for the colour commentary of comedian Tracy Ullman).

Auntie Melody and Dad put together an English breakfast to rival the fanciest hotels – bacon, eggs to order, bangers, fried mushrooms, potatoes, fried tomatoes, kippers, fruit salad, crumpets, scones, clotted cream, and jam. We washed everything down with mimosas (a virgin one for me). I was so full that I barely ate any lunch. Auntie Med sent us off with fruitcake muffins, to echo the fruitcake at the actual wedding.

There were also contests – one to guess what colour the Queen would wear (yellow – won by Dad) and one for the best hat/fascinator. I was delighted to take this prize home for my handmade fascinator which included feathers and a very bright parrot Beanie Baby. The prize was a commemorative wedding plate which is currently on display in my office. It is sure to become a family heirloom.

Here are some photos of the event:


The feast!


My prize-winning fascinator - Beatrice and her toilet seat have got nothing on me!


The chef takes a brief break to catch some of the action.


The ladies show off their hats and early morning style.

No comments: