Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Something special

So today, we took Max to the blood lab to get some blood drawn. Apparently, around one year of age, it's important to know if a baby is iron deficient in order to see if there will be problems in transferring from breast milk/formula to dairy. We got Max all set and the medical staff poked once, jiggled, found a vein and drew two vials from Max. Max didn't cry or make a sound. He didn't even really move. He looked at the pokers (Who are these people?), looked at the needle (are they attaching a third arm? I wonder...), and casually glanced at the vials (that's a pretty shade of red. Maybe for my next room...). He might have sighed during the process. The lab techs (one of whom did Max's blood work a few months ago at the lab) were tripping over themselves in wonder, saying that they'd never seen a baby so calm while getting blood drawn. We were pretty amazed ourselves.

This harkens back to when Max got his twin 10s on the Apgar tests right after his birth. That and when the Grand Forks numerologist mentioned that his birth date of 09/09/2007 made him a "9" and that both Mother Teresa and Gandhi were 9s - that this foretold greatness. I'm not really a superstitious dude, but when I see the look on someone's face saying that they've never seen something before until your child breaks the rules it kind of makes me wonder whether I've got something special on my hands. I mean, Max is definitely special - all kids start at that baseline and work their way up (or down?). I mean specialer than normal.

Anyway, I don't want to go on and on too much - it's a bit obnoxious. And furthermore, I'm sure every parent feels this way about their children.

The rest of our day went well too. Max sat very still for his second haircut and then postponed his nap just long enough to let mom and dad have a lunch date at Lone Star...mmm, Tex-Mex. Here are some pictures from our day and a video demonstrating that Max won't soon be addicted to cola.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how suspicious he looks of that mowhawk!