Saturday, July 5, 2008

A week of firsts

Max had quite a few super cool firsts this week - first Canada Day, first haircut and first outdoor pool - so I thought I better write a quick post. It will have to be quick though because Max and I are off to Halifax first thing tomorrow morning and there is still some packing to be done.

Max and John ventured downtown to take in some of Ottawa's world famous Canada Day festivities. I'll let John fill you in on the details but here is an awesome video of Max putting his first free maple leaf swag to good use on Canada Day night:



Yesterday, I took Max to get his first haircut. It was starting to get quite long in the front and over his ears so we decided that it was time. On the recommendation of an awesome mum in one of my classes, I took him to Francecso's Barbershop at our local mall. It was fabulous! They sat Max on a padded board over the arms of the barber chair and put a cape on him. He looked SO cute with his little head poking out of the giant cape in the big barber chair. Max was an absolute all-star and the barber was able to complete the entire haircut without a peep from Max. The barber said he was one of the best babies he had ever seen in the shop! I think Max was too interested in all of the other boys and men in the shop and all of the mirrors, electric razors and blow dryers to care about what was going on with his own hair. When I told the barber that Max liked the blow dryer, he proceeded to blow Max's hair into a side part. Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos taken at the barbershop as I was holding Max steady on the board. I did take some photos in one of the little rides at the mall.

Max doing his best "Blue Steel" impression:





I'm happy to report that he also had a blast on this ride when I stuck a loonie in it. On a completely unrelated note, what can you get for a quarter these days now that these rides are a loonie and a local call is $0.50? I digress. He was grabbing the steering wheel and loving the sounds and lights going off. It breaks my heart to see him looking like such a little boy these days. It just reminds me that our days home together are numbered and to cherish every moment.

Today was a spectacular summer day (finally!) so Max and I were delighted to get an invitation to a little pool party with my sister and a few friends. I am extremely pleased to report that Max spent almost an hour in the pool and had an absolute blast. I don't know if it was the outdoor pool or the fact that it was a saltwater pool or his snazzy outdoor swim gear but he really had a good time. It took us a little bit of time to get used to the water but once we got in, it was great. He was kicking and splashing with his hands and floating with his hands on a pool noodle. He even voluntarily stuck his face in the water off the raft at one point. I don't know if today means that he is turning the corner on swimming but I was doing a little internal dance for joy the whole time he was enjoying himself in the pool. Yahoo!!!



Yikes. It's late. I better get my butt in gear. Halifax travelogue to follow!

No comments: