Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Atlantic Adventures

Max and I have been back from our East Coast adventure for a week already so I thought I should take a bit of time to write a post. We hosted playgroup at our place today so Max is down for a much-needed nap after so much sensory overload.

Our reason for visiting Halifax was to spend time with our friend Jen, her husband James and their five-month old twins, Rose and Lillian, before they all moved back to Laos. Jen was one of my roommates at Trent and is a dear, dear friend. We also had the great pleasure of hosting Jen in this house while she finished up grad school a few years ago. Jen and James hosted us when we visited Laos. I had been thinking about finding a way to get to Halifax for a few months now so when Jen called to say that they were leaving July 12th to go home, I realized that it was now or never. We got really lucky and managed to book a direct flight on points.

We arrived on Sunday, July 6th, and were greeted at the airport by Jen and her awesome dad, Hugh. After some great visiting time at the apartment in Dartmouth, we headed out for a barbeque at J and A's place in Halifax (family friends). The beer can chicken and homemade strawberry pie were divine. The ride home to Dartmouth with three screaming babies (everyone was a little overtired) was a bit rough but we all survived.

On Monday morning, Jen, Max and I headed out to get some errands done for their move while James and Grandma Kelly tended to the babies. On Monday afternoon, I decided to take all of the babies out for a walk so Jen and James could get a bit of baby-free time. I wore Max in a front carrier and had the babies in a double stroller. It was quite the sight! I wish I had thought to get a picture taken. That evening, Hugh and Kelly took us out for dinner at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron (North America's oldest yacht club) where Hugh is a member. We sat outside and had a lovely meal by the water.

On Tuesday, we headed out on a mini-road trip to Lawrencetown, about forty minutes from Dartmouth. There is a beautiful beach there and an amazing teahouse. The teahouse served both biscuits AND scones so I was in heaven (I am sure that some blog readers remember my voracious appetite for anything biscuit- or scone-like when I was about five months pregnant). We strolled the boardwalk and even got some time to stick our feet in the water while the babies snoozed in their strollers. It was unseasonably hot in Halifax (35 degrees plus) so it was wonderful to be out in the ocean air. On Tuesday evening, Hugh and Kelly hosted us for a barbeque at their place.

On Wednesday morning, we bid everyone adieu and headed home. I can definitely say that it was the right decision to go. It was amazing to see this new family in action and to introduce Max to another dear friend. Max and I had a really wonderful time. We were so blessed to have such a lovely visit. Here are some photos of our adventures.

All three babies looking at once - yay me!:



Max and Lily enjoying the Exersaucer:


Jen, Max and Lily having some fun, with Rosie asleep in the background:


James and Max deep in conversation at the teahouse:


Hot mommas at the beach:


Max taking care to review the safety card located in the seat pocket in front of him before take-off on the flight home:


Random notes:

- I am completely in awe of parents of multiples. I really couldn't believe how much more work it is with two babies. Jen and James and their support network are so incredible with Rose and Lillian. Those little babies are surrounded by so much love.

- I think Max is a born traveler - he handled everything with a smile on his face. Both flights were great.

- Happy belated birthday, Auntie Krysta!

No comments: