Sunday, February 24, 2008

Max's First Adventure - Side Story

So in anticipation of the final installment of Max's travel journal, I'm going to relay to you how my week without Max and Holly went. Holly will have to pick up the thread with Part 4 as she was the one who experienced the final leg of the journey.

The flight home was fairly uneventful. The Super Bowl was on, so almost all of the West Jet TVs were tuned in. There was a funny moment when one guy totally shouted "Yes!" after the Pats scored late and he totally freaked the flight attendant out. I wasn't feeling so hot, but didn't think much about it. Until I got home and got violently ill. Gross.

The next morning, after I reinserted my stomach, I called out to the Coast to check if Holly or Max has come down with anything, only to find that whatever I had, Aunt J also picked up. Somehow, Holly and Max managed to dodge the bullet. Thank goodness - I know that eventually Max will pick up something other than a cold . . . but the first time shouldn't be on vacation or while I'm off somewhere else.

I had been looking forward to and dreading my five days alone. A great opportunity to do "John stuff" and keep crazy hours and sleep well and all sorts of other things that Max tends to prevent. But at the same time, the first time I'd be without the person I've been spending most of my energy on over the previous five months. As it turns out, with the sickness and a couple of awesome get-togethers with Holly's family (a 60th birthday party! A 30th birthday party! Going to a climbing gym with my mother-in-law!), I didn't really have time to get into the "I'm missing my crew" doldrums. I have to say that I was really glad to see Holly and Max when they came back. The short break really re-energized me in the end and I was more than ready to get back into the daddy ring.

Two more quick notes, completely unrelated to Max's trip:

1 - Max is now a pro at rolling around. Sometime this past week, it became clear that leaving him unattended in any precarious or elevated position is now out of the question. A by-product of this is that the chair he used to sit in on the counter while Holly got things together in the mornings is completely ineffective. Now it's all Bumbo, all the time. Until he figures how to Houdini out of it . . . It is also getting MUCH harder to change the monkey as he loves to roll around on the changing pad. The combination of his loves of rolling over AND being naked make him a pretty happy yet squirmy customer at changing time.

2 - The Oscars are on today and it's strangely a bit of an afterthought. Anyone who knows Holly knows that Oscar day is possibly her favourite day of the year. Well, this year there are no parties to host or attend and we're not even planning to watch it live. It's a bit sad for us, but seeing as we totally missed all of the movies this year, we don't really have any basis for judgment of the results. Holly will probably still treat herself to 3 hours of red carpet dreck, but that's probably about it. :( weep

No comments: