Friday, February 29, 2008

Max's Big Adventure - The Final Chapter

When we last left our intrepid voyager, he was bidding goodbye to his dad and looking forward to five more days of adventure on the coast. Sunday was relatively low-key. Auntie J and I nipped into Sydney to pick up a few things and rent a few movies. I finally saw Ratatouille and loved, loved, loved it! (Side note: The restaurant in the movie is based on La Tour d'Argent where John and I had our extremely memorable haute Parisian cuisine honeymoon meal, part of a wedding gift from my Auntie Med, so it was super cool to finally see the movie!).

Unfortunately, Auntie J came down with the same awful sickness that John had when he got back so Monday was not a wonderful day for Auntie J. Max and I had plenty to keep us entertained though because Auntie J's friend D and her adorable toddler daughter A came over for lunch and a play date. It was quite funny to see A interacting with Max. There was lots of sharing of toys but also a few moments of "I don't know who the heck you are so don't you dare touch my stuff!". Provided that I was quick on the draw to replace the toy in his hand so he could put something back in his mouth, Max took it all in stride. It was wonderful to see D and meet A for the first time and also to see some of the developmental milestones we have to look forward to.

On Tuesday, Auntie J felt better so we decided to head into Victoria to show Max off to Auntie's colleagues, grab some lunch and do a bit of shopping. Max was amazing and didn't mind getting passed around to a dozen strangers at the hospital where Auntie J works. A big shout out to Auntie's awesome colleagues who lent us a playpen and a big bag of toys for Max's visit! We lunched at this very Trent-like (for those of you who didn't go to Trent, I mean kind of granola and hippy but great) little diner called the Shine Cafe. They specialize in eggs benny (over a dozen variations) but I was feeling more in a lunch mood so I had an awesome burger with onion rings on the side. I mention the onion rings because a server at the restaurant introduced me to a new taste sensation: dipping the rings in honey. I've never had this before and it was awesome. I guess it makes sense considering that I used to dip my McNuggets in honey back in the day. Anyways, if you like onion rings and you like honey, give it a try.

We bid adieu to Auntie J and Uncle B's place on Wednesday to head into Victoria to spend some time with my best friend from high school, Jenny K. Jenn and her roommate Michael were awesome hosts. We spent Wednesday afternoon walking down to the beach in the rain and catching up. We made an awesome "put everything in the fridge into a pot with some curry paste" dinner which turned out really fantastic and watched a bit of the movie Once. Unfortunately, we started the movie a bit late and Mr. M needed to go to bed and we never ended up seeing the end of the film. (Side note: A song from the movie just won the Best Original Song Oscar on Sunday night - Yay! Now I REALLY want to see the rest of the movie!). Oh well.

On Thursday morning, Jenn needed to do some work (varied and amazing pursuits, including some wonderful writing and a super cool community project where Victoria's young people wrote poetry and local musicians have written songs inspired by the poetry - the concert is this weekend (March 2nd) in Victoria) so Max and I hung out. In the afternoon, we ventured to the local laundromat to do a gazillion loads of laundry and have some treats at a local cafe. After putting our laundry away back at the apartment, we walked downtown to pick up a few things before meeting Jenn's friend, H, for dinner at ReBar. It was a very cool, blustery and rainy day but we had tons of fun anyways. I had never been to ReBar before but we cook dishes from their AMAZING cookbook often so it was great to finally get to eat there. We had an absolute blast! It is always a wonderful treat to spend an evening with one of your best friend's best friends from another part of their life. When we returned to the apartment after dinner, there was a message for me to call Auntie J. Fabulous news when I connected with her - they were off to the airport to pick up their new puppy who was arriving about an hour before we needed to be there on Friday morning so Auntie J could pick us up at Jenn's and take us the airport. I put Max to bed and snuck out of the bedroom for some late-night laughing and catching up with Jenn.

Jenn treated me to an amazing brunch on Friday morning to fill me up for my day of travelling. It was a wonderful way to end an awesome visit. Auntie J arrived at the apartment at 11:30 am to pick us up for the airport....

Next up: THE EPILOGUE!

But first, a quick video of almost-5-month Max playing while "fighting the power":

No comments: