Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"Of cabbages and kings"

I’ve had a dozen or so posts half-written in my head the last few weeks (it is amazing how much time you can actually spend breastfeeding and rocking a baby to sleep) but just no time to actually type them and get them posted. So I thought I would do a quick bulleted post of random thoughts. Big points to anyone who gets the reference I’m making in the title.

- “Nestboro”. John has taken to calling our ‘hood “Nestboro” due to the crazy baby boom – both actual babies and baby-related businesses. We like to think that we’re not all that Westboro-ey or at least the more snooty aspects that we sometimes associate with this neighbourhood but I have to admit that on Sunday, we really looked the part. Picture this: John with Max in the cuddly wrap (sensitive father: check). Both of us with extra large Bridgehead cups (organic and fair trade beverage: check). New MEC purchases in tow. The only thing missing was the Lululemon pants. Seriously though, we joke a lot about our neighbourhood but it is pretty amazing to have so much cool stuff within walking distance. We love this place.

- Max’s first trip to “Stars and Strollers”. Max and I went to the movies this afternoon – Michael Clayton for anyone that wants to know. Max was the most perfect baby and stayed asleep the entire movie! I really enjoyed getting out and seeing a movie too. It was a bit weird to go to a movie with dozens of babies making little noises but I’ll take it! The thing that struck me most (other than yummy George Clooney in a suit for two hours) about the whole experience was that I’m officially part of this totally awesome informal mommy club. The theatre was full of moms and babies and it felt so great to be there. There was one point when the baby beside me spat out his soother and his mum couldn’t find it so she asked me to hold her baby while she found it. She just handed me her baby and trusted me to hold him! We had an instant bond just being in the theatre together. It was so cool. I also scored some cool mommy points with the mini flashlight I brought to the theatre with me. I helped locate an errant soother and a missing sock in the aisle! Thanks to Auntie Med for the use of the Max mobile the last few days. It really made the whole movie trip possible.

- Generosity. John and I have been completely overwhelmed by the avalanche of good wishes, wonderful gifts, food, calls, support, etc. that we have received in the last five weeks. It sounds cheesy but sometimes it takes a life-changing event to make you realize how lucky you are to be surrounded by such a loving community of people. So many people have reached out to us from both here and away. Max is one loved little dude. Everyone will be getting “official” thank-yous soon but I wanted everyone to know how thankful we are for everything.

- Telemarketers suck. You would be absolutely SHOCKED by how many calls we get during the day. I am sure we have always gotten this many calls but I was never around to hear them. I’ve pretty much given up on answering any long distance rings during the day.

- I think the slow cooker may be my new best friend. One recipe in that thing feeds us for days.

- Update on the cats: Bella appears to be coming around. Yay!!!

That's all for now. I'm even going to surprise John and post this puppy all by myself - my first wholly solo post. Ha! I have been paying attention.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Ha. I laughed reading this, Holly. It seemed like the phone never stopped ringing during the day - my advice? Unplug if you're trying to nap with Max . . it's so annoying to wake up/have the baby woken up for no good reason!

Have you checked out the Parents Resource Centre on Evered? I think they have some great programming.