Monday, August 19, 2013

Two things I don't ever want to forget about Leo

On the lighter side: I saw a bunch of Lego minifigures today with their arms in the air and I remembered how, for the longest time as a toddler, Leo would not tolerate any Playmobil figure that did not have their arms in the air. He said that that was just the way they had to be. Did he picture everybody in the world around him walking around like they were in an eternal stick-up? On the more serious side: Leo is tough. He falls, he gets back up. His feelings get hurt, he screams, he offers someone something they have no business having, he is happy, running around and playing again. The one time I ever see Leo have serious emotional trouble where he struggles to bottle it away but just can't is when we leave him somewhere when he doesn't want to be without us. He quietly hugs our legs, doesn't beg us to stay, but unmistakably starts silently tearing up and just stands there, not letting go. That kills me every time. Occasionally, he'll do it in the morning at daycare (that he allegedly hates yet repeatedly sends him home after "the best day ever") and this morning as I dropped him off for day camp at Starr Gymnastics he did it again. He tries so hard to not show that he's sad...it's really touching and it makes me love him even more.

No comments: